City Tower Backnang
Backnang's City Tower is a landmark and the most prominent feature of its skyline. The lower section consists of the painstakingly restored 13th-century Gothic choir of the former St. Michael's Church, with a polygonal ground-plan, nine-arched vaulting and ornate capitals. The tower was renovated in 1614 by the then state architect Heinrich Schickhardt. After being destroyed in a town fire in 1693, it was rebuilt according to Schickhardt's plans in 1699.
A mezzanine floor of the City Tower has an exhibition on the history of the town. Another highlight: a wonderful view over the whole town from the tower gallery.