Vitrine 2 - A city between forests and vineyards
»If one didn’t harvest the vines in Stuttgart, the city would soon be drowned in wine«, wrote one medieval chronicler. Historians believe that Stuttgart
became the seat of kings not owing to the prolific horse breeding activities in
»Stuotgarten« (its original name, meaning »stud farm«), but that Württemberg’s rulers were primarily interested in income from its wine production. It was first and foremost abbeys that promoted winemaking in the 10 th and 11 th centuries. In the 16 th century then 5,000 residents cultivated 1,260 hectares of vineyards. And they drank a great deal too: It is said that at the wedding of Duke Ulrich and Princess Sabina von Bayern in 1511, for two days and two nights four million liters of wine flowed from a fountain at the Old Castle to quench the thirst of the city’s people. Wine from the Neckar valley was highly rated at the time; it was even popular at the Court of Vienna. Although the amount of land given over to winemaking has shrunk considerably in Stuttgart owing to industrialization and population growth, it still accounts for two percent of the conurbation. Wine is made in 16 of the city’s 23 districts; the large winegrowing area »Weinsteige« encompasses 18 smaller ones, from »Abelsberg« in the district of Gaisburg to »Schlossberg« in Uhlbach.
The mild climate in the Neckar Valley ensures favorable growing conditions,
although the city’s location in a basin increases the risk of hailstorms, which
are countered in the region by cloud seeding.