At the foot of the Swabian Alb, picturesquely embedded between Achalm and Georgenberg.
Das Gartentor Reutlingen's origins reach back to the 5th and 6th century. The Alemanni founded the first settlements on the Echaz. Reutlingen was mentioned in documents for the first time in 1089/90.
In 1208 Reutlingen became a free imperial city. In the 14th century, the first city constitution with a democratic - guild basis follows. The people of Reutlingen defended their freedom e.g. in 1377 against Count Ulrich of Wuerttemberg - always successfully. During the reformation, Reutlingen visibly emerged on the side of Nuremberg through signing the Augsburg Confession.
In 1726, a large fire destroyed four fifths of the city and 1,200 families were homeless. In 1802/03, the imperial city self-administration ended, Reutlingen became a part of Wuerttemberg and became an official city and as of 1818 a district seat. In 1984, Reutlingen was the location of a state garden show with many more than one million visitors. In 1988 the number of residents exceeded the border of 100,000 and Reutlingen became the ninth large city in Baden-Wuerttemberg. With Barbara Bosch (without a party) in February 2003 for the first time a woman was elected as the mayor.