Schiller National Museum
This museum was built by the Swabian Schiller Society, founded in 1895, and is a "castle" over the Neckar visible from afar, which officially opened with a ceremony in 1903. It was built between 1901 and 1903 according to drawings by the renowned Stuttgart architects Ludwig Eisenlohr and Carl Weigle. The style of the building is late Baroque, modelled on such edifices as Monrepos Castle in Ludwigsburg. The single-story plaster structure bears a mansard roof with a central cupola.
No less a personage than King Wilhelm II of Württemberg himself made an official state visit to Marbach for the opening of the Schiller National Museum. Queen Elizabeth II of England also visited the poet's memorial during her visit to Germany in 1965.
From the very outset, the house was not merely a literature museum, but also a literature archive, dedicated to the purposes of education and scholarship. And it was from the very outset not only dedicated to Friedrich Schiller, but also to the literature and cultural history of southwestern Germany as a whole. Thus an institution opened its doors on November 10, 1903 which was destined quickly to gain in stature and importance in the world of libraries and archives, museums and memorials.
71672 Marbach am Neckar
Phone: +49 (0)7144 84 80
Fax: +49 (0)7144 848 690