Test your head for heights! After a construction period of 20 months, the Stuttgart TV Tower was put into operation on 5 February 1956. With its impressive height of 217 m, it is the original model for television towers all over the world.
Originally, the then Süddeutscher Rundfunk (South German Broadcasting) wanted to place its antennas for broadcasting television and VHF radio programmes on one of the 200-metre-high iron lattice masts secured with wire ropes that were common at the time. This monstrous project called the Stuttgart engineer Prof. Fritz Leonhardt, who had become famous as a bridge builder and structural engineer, onto the scene. His idea was to have an elegant concrete needle grow out of the forest of Degerloch instead of an ugly lattice mast and to provide it with a tower basket with viewing platforms that could be used for tourism and gastronomy...
Today, the TV tower is a popular Stuttgart landmark. Enjoy the view (in good weather as far as the Swabian Alb!) from the tower platform and the panorama café!